Date & Time of Solstices & Equinoxes in 2023 (GMT)
Day and Night Interactive World Map
Where does the sun shine right now? Where has it already set or not yet risen? Choose a location and view it on the map. The pre-sets in the time zone converter are GMT and your local time zone.
- The longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere occurs at the Summer Solstice. Solstice day is the day with the longest period of daylight.
- On the same day, at the same time, in the Southern Hemisphere, the Winter Solstice brings with it the longest night of the year.
- Equinoxes, when day and night are equal, follow the same rule. They occur on the same day and at the same time but in opposite seasons.
- The Spring Equinox in the Northern Hemisphere is mirrored by the Autumn/Fall Equinox in the Southern Hemisphere and the other way round.
- Research historical equinox and solstice dates.
- View a different way of representing the Earth's journey round the Sun, interpreted as an Astro Clock
Clocks and Time Tools
Our creative collection
What time is it?