Description: white with a blue cross extending to the edges of the flag; the vertical
part of the cross is shifted to the hoist side in the style of the
Dannebrog (Danish flag)
Coat of Arms of Finland
The Coat of Arms of Finland were granted at the burial of Gustav Vasa
in 1560 and still remain the arms of the Republic of Finland. The arms were also
used as the official symbol of the Grand Duchy of Finland.
The blazon as described in the act on the arms of Finland (381/78) may be
translated as follows:
"Gules, among nine roses argent, a lion rampant crowned Or, having for its
dexter forepaw a human arm armoured, brandishing a sword and in base a falchion
fesswise reversed, both of the second hilted of the third."
It has been assumed that the lion comes from the House of Folkung, which is
also present in the Coat of Arms of Sweden. The two kinds of swords are similar
to the ones in the Coat of Arms of Karelia. The curved Russian sabre placed
under the feet of the lion reflects the political situation during the period.
At that time, Sweden and Russia had been under constant war. The nine roses are
often assumed to represent the nine historical provinces of Finland, but the
number of roses has varied during history and is unrelated to the provinces.
Rate this page
Thanks for rating
Please explain any problem (email address for reply):