Eastbourne, East Sussex
Town of Eastbourne, East Sussex
Eastbourne sits on the south coast of East Sussex between Brighton and Hastings. Eastbourne is a large seaside town with some 90,000 inhabitants. In a perfect position on the South Coast of England, Eastbourne has a prosperous business community and excellent shopping centres and streets. Eastbourne has a long history stretching back to Celtic settlements in 500BC. However it was in the 19th century, with the help of local landowners William Cavendish and John Gilbert, that the town was really established. Eastbourne became fashionable during Edwardian times when it was called 'The Watering Place of the South'. Eastbourne's name comes from 'Burne' the stream which ran through the Old Town of Eastbourne. During the middle ages the area prospered as a major sheep farming and fishing area. In 1555 East Bourne was sold to three wealthy Sussex families - Burton, Gildredge and Selwyn.
At the end of the 17th century, Eastbourne folk were involved in battle with the French - and on 30th June 1690 the English and Dutch navies were unsuccessful as they fought the French off Beachy Head. Napoleon, however caused great concern and at the end of the 18th century, a series of Martello Towers were built along the coast to defend it from "le petit corporal".
Official Town of Eastbourne, East Sussex website: www.eastbourne.gov.uk