Fitzroy Square London W1
Fitzroy Square was designed by Robert Adam in 1794.
Fitzroy Square's southern and eastern sides, created in Portland stone, have remained in their original form.
Many famous artists, writers and statesmen have lived in Fitzroy Square and their homes are marked out by blue plaques.
No. 29 was the home of the writers George Bernard Shaw and Virginia Wolf, not at the same time.
In 1913 Shaw gave the artist Roger Fry funds to establish the Omega workshop at No. 33. The workshop paid young artists a fixed wage to produce Post-Impressionist paintings, furniture, pottery and carpets, that were sold to the general public.
Rate this page
Thanks for rating