Current Eastern Time is Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)
Check our digital timepieces to view time now in the Eastern Time Zone and GMT
USA & Canada clocks are now on
- Daylight saving start: Sunday 12 March 2017 02:00 local time. Clocks go forward one hour.
- Daylight saving end: Sunday 5 November 2017 02:00 local time. Clocks go back one hour.
USA and Canada past and future DST schedules here
Convert to any place in the world
Convert Eastern Time to GMT
GMT Time converter, compare Eastern Time and GMT. Enter other locations for more comparisons.
What is the Eastern Time Zone?
The Eastern Timezone is an area 5 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time ( GMT-5 ) during the winter months (referred to as EST) and 4 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time ( GMT-4 ) during the summer months (referred to as EDT). At the moment, the following schedule is used:
From 2 A.M. on the second Sunday in March to 2 A.M. on the first Sunday in November, Daylight Saving Time is in effect. At all other times, Standard Time is in effect.
Do clocks in the Eastern Timezone observe Daylight Saving Time?
In most states in the USA and in most provinces in Canada, Daylight-Saving Time ( DST ) is observed. During DST the time is shifted forward by 1 hour to Eastern Daylight Time (EDT); which is 4 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time ( GMT-4 ).
After the Summer months Eastern Time is shifted back by 1 hour to US Eastern Standard Time (EST) or (GMT-5).
Rate this page
More to explore
- Convert: Eastern Time to GMT
- Area Code > Time Zone
- Eastern Time to Alaska Time
- Eastern Time to Central Time
- Eastern Time to Hawaii Time
- Eastern Time to Mountain Time
- Eastern Time to Pacific Time
- Eastern Time to Canada Time
- Eastern Time to Atlantic Time
- Eastern Time to Asia Time
- Eastern Time to Europe Time