City of Slough England
Like other Berkshire towns, particularly Maidenhead, Slough was an important stage on the routes between London and Bath and Bristol. It was in fact the second stopover out of the capital. In 1718, an enterprising local man called Thomas Baldwin, owner of the Crown Inn, started providing a daily service along to Bath and Bristol.
View Larger Map
The railway transformed Slough perhaps more than any other village in Berkshire. When it arrived in 1849, the farm that it cut off from the rest of the village was eventually lost altogether. The town meanwhile acted as the railway terminal for Windsor for thirteen years, before the royal town acquired its own station, and became a fashionable place to live.
Official City of Slough England website: Slough.gov.uk