Town of Falmouth, Cornwall
Falmouth (Cornish: Aberfal) is a town and port on the River Fal on the south coast of Cornwall, England, UK. Falmouth was originally called Pen-y-cwm-cuic, which became "Pennycomequick". Falmouth is famous for its harbour. Together with Carrick Roads, it forms the third deepest natural harbour in the world, & the deepest in Western Europe. It is also famous for being the start or finish point of various round-the-world record-breaking voyages, such as those of Sir Francis Chichester and Dame Ellen MacArthur. It is at the end of A39 road, which passes in succession close to the neighbouring town of Penryn . In about 1540 Henry VIII built Pendennis Castle to defend Carrick Roads, and Sir John Killigrew created the town of Falmouth in 1613. The Cornwall Railway reached Falmouth on 24 August 1863. The railway brought new prosperity to Falmouth, as it made it easy for tourists to reach the town. It also allowed the swift transport of the goods recently disembarked from the ships in the port. Falmouth Town Council was formed on local government reorganisation in 1974 from the former Falmouth Borough Council. The town received Royal Charter in 1661. Falmouth is formally twinned with Douaranenez in Brittany and Rotenburg (Wümme) in Germany and is encouraging informal cultural links with Villagarcia in Spain. Total population 19,855. Area 7 km (776 hectares).
View Larger Map
Official Town of Falmouth, Cornwall website: www.falmouthtowncouncil.co.uk