Town of Newport, Isle-of-Wight
Newport is the county town of the Isle of Wight, an island off the south coast of England.
View Larger Map
Newport has a population of around 24,000 . Newport is situated at the head of the navigable section of the River Medina, which flows northward to the Solent.
The town was incorporated as a borough in 1608. The town's position as an area of trade accessible to the sea meant it rapidly took over from Carisbrooke as the main central settlement, eventually absorbing the latter as a suburb. The borough ceased to exist in 1974 after the incorporation of the larger Borough of Medina, which was itself superseded in 1995 by a single unitary authority covering the whole of the Isle of Wight.
Official Town of Newport, Isle-of-Wight website: www.iow.gov.uk