City of Carlisle, Cumbria
Current time and facts
Facts about Carlisle
- Carlisle is the most northerly English City and the smallest in population terms but largest in land area.
- Carlisle boasts the highest and lowest points in any city, ranging from sea level to the top of coal fell, 622m (2041 ft).
- Carlisle had the first letterbox on mainland Britain.
- The first delivery of newspapers by air in Britain took place in Carlisle.
- The first cardboard railway ticket was invented and used in Carlisle.
- Carlisle does not feature in the Domesday Book because, in 1086, Carlisle was in the possession of the Scots.
- Eddie Stobart, the Road Transport company, began in and around Carlisle.
- Official City of Carlisle, Cumbria website: www.carlisle.gov.uk