Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Edinburgh International airport (Turnhouse)
Edinburgh International airport was opened by HRH Queen Elizabeth II 1977.
Airport code: EDI
View Larger Map
Originally the airfield was the site of a First World War aerodrome, later to become RAF Turnhouse.
The original facility was sited close to the main East Coast railway line. Aircraft arrived in crates on trains, were assembled and sent into action from the grass strip.
Turnhouse Aerodrome was established for the Royal Flying Corps in 1915. For many years it fulfilled a military role before responsibility was handed from the Ministry of Defence to the Ministry of Aviation in 1960.
The first shuttle service linking Edinburgh with London took off in 1947. It was operated by British European Airways.
Edinburgh Airport was taken over by BAA plc (previously the British Airports Authority) in 1971.