First, determine the date for Easter of any given year (which is the first Sunday after the first full moon that follows the Spring Equinox) and then count back 47 days (40 days of Lent plus Holy Week) to find Mardi Gras Day.
Mardi Gras can be as early as February 3rd and as late as March 9th.
Dictionary Definition of Mardi GrasDictionary: Mardi Gras
Pronunciation: 'mär-dE-"grä, in New Orleans commonly -"gro
Etymology: French, literally, fat Tuesday
- Shrove Tuesday often observed (as in New Orleans) with parades & festivities
- A carnival period climaxing on Shrove Tuesday
- A festive occasion resembling a pre-Lenten Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras external links
- Mardi Gras - New Orleans, USA website displaying a countdown to the big day
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Carnival 2023 official page
- Trinidad & Tobago Carnival 2023 events and guide website
Clocks and Time Tools
Our creative collection
What time is it?