First, determine the date for Easter of any given year (which is the first Sunday after the first full moon that follows the Spring Equinox) and then count back 47 days (40 days of Lent plus Holy Week) to find Mardi Gras Day.
Mardi Gras can be as early as February 3rd and as late as March 9th.
Dictionary Definition of Mardi Gras
Dictionary: Mardi Gras
Pronunciation: 'mär-dE-"grä, in New Orleans commonly -"gro
Etymology: French, literally, fat Tuesday
- Shrove Tuesday often observed (as in New Orleans) with parades & festivities
- A carnival period climaxing on Shrove Tuesday
- A festive occasion resembling a pre-Lenten Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras Links
- Mardi Gras - New Orleans, LA, USA website
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: website which has Carnival Page ( Carnaval - festa de todos ) in English
- Rio from Carnaval.com: website
- Trinidad & Tobago Carnival: website